Monday, January 29, 2007

Please Mind the Gap, Tuesday 1-16-07

We arrived in London’s Gatwick airport early this morning. I’m going on my 30th hour without sleep at this point so my hotel bed it looking wonderful.
We took a train from the airport to a tube station (the Underground), where we had to get on two different subways. It was pretty hilarious watching the 22 American tourists try to maneuver through packed tube stations. Almost everyone’s bag is too heavy to carry long distances so we ran up and down staircases with our suitcases banging loudly behind us. Toumazou was running around so frantically trying to get head counts that he almost knocked a young girl down in front of an oncoming train (the lack of sleep made it seem really funny).
Our field trip today was to the National Gallery. I didn’t have high expectations because I was so tired but I got to see some amazing art. The Gallery over looks Trafalgar Square and we could see Big Ben in the distance. Inside I got to see amazing pieces by Van Eyck, Botticelli, da Vinci, Rembrandt, Monet, Van Gogh, Cezanne, Seurat. On the way out of the museum, I was wandering few a few rooms I hadn’t seen and found two full of Raphael and Michelangelo works.
The best part of the day though was definitely our dining experiences. With our hectic schedule there was not time for breakfast, so by the time lunch and dinner came we would have been happy with ANYTHING! I don’t think there are 20 people in the rest of the world who think as highly of British food as the members of CSA07.
Nicole and I almost had some difficulty tonight trying to find an internet café and then somewhere to buy phone cards. Looking left-right-left in London before crossing the street does not work as well in London; it actually gets to killed because the drive on the wrong side of the road! It took us a few tries to figure that one out.

No comments: