Friday, February 9, 2007

Grapevine culture under cover. 2-6-07

Tonight we’re staying in our ninth hotel in 22 days. We had three sites today deep in the mountains of Crete. We spent about an hour and a half traveling 37 km of very tight switchbacks on a very large bus to get to the Diktaion Cave on Mt. Dikte (supposedly the birthplace of Zeus). It was my first time seeing snow this year but turns out Classics majors aren’t that good at snowball fights, big surprise there! We had to spend an hour going down the mountain the same way. When we finally get to the bottom to a very small town on a very small road, we were told that that road which is the only way to get off the mountain on that side was closed for construction. I thought we had accidentally driven back to Egypt (Road is closed!). The bus driver had to reverse the bus out of the town, then turn around and go back down the other side of the mountain. It was 2pm by the time we got to our second site.
Anna Marie has developed the syllabus for a “CID” (pronounced “kid”)- Common Interest Date.- for us to get to know each other. It is appropriate to schedule having a CID with someone in advance and have it over a meal. The rules are pretty strict. She says that it is just business and once you find a common interest it is time to move on to the next category. It is just the time to reveal common interests, you can go back and talk more about them later.

2 comments:

Rosemary said...

Two things:
1. everything sounds amazing.
2. I miss you.

I'm glad you're having fun. I don't know if I would be able to keep up the energy for a trip like that! I'm sure you're having a blast and learning a lot! Check out my bloggeroo if you wish.
My spring break is the middle two weeks in april. I want to book my flight soon to come see you in Rome!
Love, Rosemary

Frank Birckhead said...

Watching NC State play the evil Dukies; NC State is winning right now. Laney is talking to Jakie about the trip as I write you. Jakie loaded her up with Bday gifts.

One of the NCAA tourn. prediction sights has Davidson and UVa botgh playing in Columbis Ohio in the first round of The NCAA tourney. I would go and see that if that happened.

Keep writing....I get mad when you forget about us for a few days.