Friday, February 9, 2007

Rows and rows of big dark clouds 2-6-07

Today is our last day in Heraklion. We’ve spent four nights here which is the longest time we’ve spent in one hotel yet. Heraklion is a great town. There is an open air market on the street next to our hotel. We’ve had great fruit the last few days- tangerines, pears, pomegranates. Our first night here we went to a little gyro restaurant, Pinokio. I had an awesome pita gyro with tomato, lamb, yogurt sauce and chips (French fries) on it. After we went to a bakery that had an overwhelming amount of incredible desserts. I got a kok which was awesome and has provided the group with endless amounts of jokes (but they all expected that from the health advisor).
Yesterday was Jarrett’s birthday and our Heraklion free day. I after I finished my Cyprus test I went for a run. The first half was the best run I’ve ever been on. I ran through the city then down along the water. There is a Venetian fortress in the harbor so I decided to check that out. As it turns out, the fortress stretches 2.2 km straight into the sea. The water was pretty rough because it had been raining for the last few days and I got splashed a few times but it was pretty nice. The water was beautiful green. At the end of the fortress, I climbed up some steps to the top of the wall. The sun was perfectly hitting a rocky island farther out into the sea, the harbor was full of sailboats and fishing boats and I could see the entire city of Heraklion. Then I realized that the wind was bringing some huge rain clouds. I ran back a lot harder than I had been planning on. First it started hailing and the entire front of my pants was covered in ice. Then the rain started. The wall protected me from most of the rain but not from the waves splashing over it. I got drenched in salt water. The sun came out as soon as I stepped off the fortress and I looked really cool walking back through town with my ipod and headphones in my shirt and dripping with water.

No comments: