Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Cheese and Wax 3-27-07

So I think today may have been the ultimate indication that there just isn’t that much to do in Northern Greece. We got to sleep in this morning until 7:30 and left our hotel in Kalambaka. It might sound like I’m being sarcastic when I said sleeping in until 7:30 but I’m not, our usual wakeup call is at 6 or 6:30. I think the only reason I was even able to sleep that late was because we just had daylight savings time end. After a few hours in the bus, driving through lots of snow, we stopped at what did not appear to be an archaeological sight. Turns out our first sight today was the cheese capital of Greece. It is a teeny tiny town where we spent an hour and I had my final Greek kateifi.
After the cheese capital, we spent a few more hours on the bus, drove out of the snow and stopped at the largest wax museum in Greece. It is privately owned and the man who built it spent 30 years of his life building the building and all of the wax figures to go inside. The museum follows the modern military history of Greece beginning with resistance against the Ottoman Turks and goes through WWII. It sounds cool but it was actually one of the creepier things I’ve ever seen. The whole museum was underground and very dark. One of the figures had just had his skin flayed off.
After the wax museum, TOumaxou decided to call it a day and took us to the hotel. I think we’re all very, very ready for Italy. One more night!

No comments: